Willow Court as it’s most commonly known today had many different names during its 170 odd years of service.
The name changes seemed to represent the changing of attitudes towards mental illness in Tasmania.
In 1827 It was initially referred to as the Invalid Barracks New Norfolk, Colonial Hospital New Norfolk, Madhouse New Norfolk, Her Majesty’s Lunatic Asylum 1829-1859, Hospital for the Insane, New Norfolk 1859-1915, Mental Diseases Hospital 1915-1937, Lachlan Park 1937-1968 and by a Royal Decree named Royal Derwent Hospital in 1968.
A number of years later the hospital split into the Royal Derwent Hospital on East side of the Lachlan Rivulet and Willow Court Complex on the West Side.
After its closure the Hospital seemed to progressively be known as Willow Court.